So 2016 is my “finish a goddamned book” year. It’s not a stupid resolution I won’t follow after a month because cake inevitably kicks the gym’s ass: it’s a self-imposed deadline to get ON my proverbial writing buns, sit my ass in front of the keyboard, and finish something.
At some point, I might learn not to announce intentions in any format other than a Jameson-induced drunken whisper, because apparently the Universe subscribes to the following axiom: if you want something done, give it to a busy person.
Except, unlike type A personalities or Virgo-ish busy people, MY prioritization and organization skills are often sub-par. And so, I have the following deadlines in February/March because I’m a fool who doesn’t spread out my work better.
- book review for Ancient History Encyclopedia
- 1500 word article on sex in ancient Rome for the same site (it’s getting the subject down to 1500 words that’ll be a challenge)
- 1400 word article for a magazine (a paying market! YAY!)
- book review for a guy who found me through this blog and sent me his serial killer novel, which I’m actually DYING to get to but must finish reviews in order.
- book review for Ancient History Encyclopedia (yes, another one, but I haven’t received it yet so it’s lower on the list).
- book review for one of my favorite authors…I’m waiting for confirmation on that one, but I’m hoping I qualify as a review blogger for her because I love her work.
- article I started for a magazine query earlier this month but never heard back on my letter (deadline is 3/1) so I’m changing it to a non-fiction book synopsis for later. I don’t want to lose the idea, but I can’t put it first in priority right now.
- I have three short stories currently
waiting for rejectionout to markets. I’m not thinking about them much, except that it’s best to have another marked queued up so I can submit again right away. This means I have to spreadsheet-track every piece, where it is, how long it’s been there, and where it’s going next.
- I have a writing group twice a month and I owe them a finished piece (a short story that’s totally unrelated to either book series).
- Two different fiction series – one has been in the works since 200fucking8. I want to finish the first book in each series this year.